This Christmas, try these three festive recipes from our friends at Biona Organic! A selection of Christmas table staples, including a simple and satisfying dip and two sweet treats - a yule log and mince pies, both vegan and full of chocolate-y goodness!
FESTIVE SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE DIP
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: N/A
- 100ml Biona Kefir
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 large handful of baby spinach
- 4 tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. Serve with crackers, breadsticks, vegetables…
VEGAN YULE LOG
Prep time: 1hr 30 including cooling time
Cook time: 20 minutes
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup aquafaba (from 1 x 400g tin of Biona Organic chickpeas)
- 100g Biona Organic coconut sugar
- 60g (1.2oz) plain flour
- 40g (1.4oz) cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Biona Organic applesauce
- Biona Organic Coconut oil for greasing
- icing sugar for dusting
- 1 can Biona Organic Coconut Whipping Cream (refrigerate before whipping)
- Icing sugar
- ½ jar Biona Organic Dark Chocolate Spread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or 390°F and lightly grease a swiss roll tin with coconut oil. Then line the tin with baking paper and grease the baking paper with oil to ensure the cake doesn’t stick.
- Pour the aquafaba into a food processor and blend for roughly a minute until it turns white and fluffy. Then add the coconut sugar and process again until the aquafaba and sugar are fully combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, applesauce and vanilla extract to the food processor, and gently process until all the ingredients are fully combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the swiss roll tray and tap gently against the tray until the mixture is level.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the edges. Then leave it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar. This will ensure the cake doesn’t stick to itself when you roll it.
- Line a chopping board with a tea towel and carefully invert the cake onto the tea towel. Gently peel off the baking paper and dust the bottom of the cake with icing sugar.
- Very slowly, start rolling the cake from one of the longer edges using the tea towel for friction. Make sure you roll the cake with the tea towel inside, then leave the cake to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk the coconut cream until light and fluffy.
- Once the cake has cooled, very carefully unroll it and put the tea towel to one side.
- Using a knife or spatula, place the coconut cream on the cake and smooth it out. Leave a cm gap around the edges so the cream doesn’t spill out when you roll the cake.
- Roll the cake back up again and transfer to your serving plate. Use the tea towel again if it makes it easier to move the cake.
- Cover the cake with the chilled chocolate spread (using a warm knife) then run a fork over the outside to create a bark-style pattern and sprinkle with icing sugar.
VEGAN MINCE PIES WITH A TWIST
Prep time: 30 minutes - 1 hour
Cook time: 10-30 minutes
- 280g plain flour, sifted
- 125g coconut sugar, sifted
- 50g Biona Organic Dark Chocolate Spread
- pinch salt
- 200g Biona Organic Coconut oil, melted
- 2 flax eggs
- 500g/1lb 2oz ready-made vegan mincemeat
- 2 clementines, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp plant milk