This Shrove Tuesday, 21st February, pile up the pancakes for breakfast, lunch or dinner (maybe all three?)! Everyone can to get involved in the mixing and making - and who will flip the best pancake? Get cracking with our easy and quick pancake recipes, topping ideas and must-have pancake-prep accessories.
When is Pancake Day 2023? Tuesday 21st February
3 Simple Pancake Day Recipes
1. Classic Pancake Recipe
Starting off with a popular Pancake Day favourite, classic crêpe-style flat pancakes are perfect for flipping and folding up with your favourite topping inside.
- 100g Plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Caster sugar (optional)
- Two Large Eggs
- 1 tbsp Sunflower or vegetable oil, or melted butter if you don’t want to use oil
- 300ml Milk
- Add 100g of plain flour, three large eggs, 300ml of milk and 1tbsp of sunflower or vegetable oil into your jug (don't forget a pinch of salt!) and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to rest or start cooking straight away if you're short on time.
- Pour a mystical amount into a medium frying pan over a medium heat.
- Cook each side for a few minutes and serve with lemon and sugar or mayple syrup. Delicious.
2. Fluffy American Pancake Recipe
If you have more of a sweet tooth, then thicker, fluffy pancakes might be more to your preference. The below recipe is for American-style pancakes…
- 200g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Power
- 1 tbs Golden Caster Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 25g Melted Butter (plus extra for cooking)
- 200ml Milk
- Pinch of Salt
- Combine the self-raising flour, baking power, caster sugar and a pinch of salt together in a large bowl.
- Create a well in the mixture and then add in the eggs, butter and milk.
- Whisk the mixture together until smooth and airy.
- Add your preference of oil or butter to a flat pan over a medium/high heat.
- Pour in the pancake batter and cook on each side until lots of tiny bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake.
3. Banana Pancake Recipe
This recipe is probably the easiest and quickest route to pancake perfection. So, if you’re short on time but still want to mark Shrove Tuesday, these are the pancakes for you…
- 1 Banana (preferably over-ripe)
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp of Plain Flour
- Oil or butter for the pan
- In a small bowl, lightly mush up the banana with a fork.
- Crack in the egg and mix with your fork.
- Add the plain flour.
- Heat the pan with your oil or butter on a medium/high heat.
- Add the banana pancake batter to the pan and flip once lots of bubbles start to appear on the surfaces.
Pancake Day Top Picks
Rustle up your pancakes on Shrove Tuesday Emma Bridgewater-style with these joyful pieces for your kitchen...
Large Hen on Nest
Well made and sturdy, keep your eggs stored in our Buttercup & Daisies Large Hen on Nest. This way they are to hand for baking, breakfast and pancake day (of course)!
The perfect mixing jug for pancake batters, Sunday gravys and more...
All of our enamel is dishwasher safe, so no need to worry about doing the dishes afterwards.
If butter is on your shopping list, give it a home of it's own with a nice looking butter dish. Read more about why everyone needs a butter dish here.
For serving up your pancakes, it has to be our lovely, bright and colourful lemons tray.